What is TOYP?
We, Junior Chamber International Osaka, recognized the importance of private diplomacy and initiated The Outstanding Young Persons (hereinafter referred to as TOYP) Program in 1981 for the purpose of encouraging mutual understanding and communications beyond national frameworks. Since the program began, we have invited 5 to 10 outstanding young persons to Osaka every year to discuss how we can contribute to our society in the 21st century and offer them an opportunity to better understand Japanese culture.
Why is the TOYP Program important?
What is the value for us? What is the way of looking at things? – The conflict between values is the source of many conflicts and problems today. The world we live in today was formed by our predecessors. In the same manner, we have social responsibility to help shape a better tomorrowfor future generations. We live in a world rapidly evolving technology. The internet has helpedshape our lives, bearing new possibilities for social advancement, connecting the world. Howdo you view human interaction? While technology is an integral part of our lives, we still valueface-to-face communication. Although tragedy seems to dominate today’s news, we, JCI Osaka, remain hopeful for apeaceful world created by positive action.
That is why we believe the TOYP Program is important. This program creates an opportunityfor the world’s young thinkers and citizens to come together to debate, discuss and createsolutions for the world’s various issues. Together, as one, JCI Osaka is optimistic for brightfuture, one step at a time.
Who can apply?
An individual is eligible for nominated as a 2011 TOYP member if he or she:
1. is non-Japanese and no experience to resident in Japan;
2. is under 40 years old (in principle);
3. has strong interests in creating the brilliant and lively community with high motivation,enthusiasm and leverage;
4. has enhanced leadership ability through social activities in a broad range of fieldsregardless of the type of business it is engaged in, e.g. social entrepreneurial activities,volunteer, social mission/action program, etc, on a practical level toward the realizationof secure and peaceful society where the human rights of each and every person arerespected;
5. can write and speak English well;
6. can participate in the whole program during the period;
7. can participate in this program by oneself; and
8. can fill in the application form completely
Please see this document for more information and the application form.